Software Technical Writer Job Description
How to write a Technical Writer job description. What skills do you need to be a technical writer? Get this downloadable file now and reach job seekers directly
Review Rating Score
.docx (0.02 MB)
An effective and compelling job description is vital when recruiting the right job candidates. By using a professional job description template, there is no need to start from scratch. It saves time, and by editing this job description template, you will be able to attract the most qualified job candidates for the open position.
How to write a Technical Writer job description?
This Job description explainer offers guidance on key sections that are important to include for clarity, as well as suggestions for promoting the position. It provides a list of duties, responsibilities, tasks, requirements, demands for setting job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the work as described. However, it’s often not construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities.
When writing a job description, consider the following:
- Highlight the accurate job title;
- Provide a general company introduction;
- Provide an extract or introduction of the job with key goals or objectives;
- Specify the relevant job duties and responsibilities that are necessary for this position;
- List essential qualifications;
- Be clear and concise in the description;
- Have someone knowledgeable to proofread it;
- Make sure that HR and the hiring manager will sign off before publishing it;
- Define what success looks like in the position after 30 days, the first quarter, and the first year;
- Provide direct contact details of the manager or HR department who will follow up on the candidates;
- Publish it via several social media platforms, or offline media, so you are sure that in-house employees also can get easy access to it.
What skills do you need to be a technical writer?
The following duties, responsibilities and skills are important for this position:
- Work with internal teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements.
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience.
- Write easy-to-understand user interface text, online help and developer guides.
- Create tutorials to help end-users use a variety of applications.
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities.
- Create and maintain the information architecture.
- Proven working experience in technical writing of software documentation.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Excellent written skills in English.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Basic familiarity with the SDLC and software development.
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent preferred.
Since well defined descriptions will attract more suitable candidates for the position, we recommend you to use this Technical Writer job description sample. Customize it according to your needs, and then publish it directly to your page and network, you will soon start receiving Resumes and Cover letter from qualified candidates. This Technical Writer Job Description template is fully customizable and can be used in Google Docs, MS Word format. Get this printable file now and personalize it according to your needs. If this is not the job description that fits your need, also have a look at many of our other examples of job description templates here.
Is the content above helpfull?
Thanks for letting us know!
Sherika Craig(12/20/2021) - USA
Exacly the document what I was looking for.
Evelina Scott(12/20/2021) - GBR
Our Latest Blog
- Writing a Great Resume: Tips from a Professional Resume Writer
- How to build accurate and compliant documents faster
- How to Create Halloween Party Invitations? 2023
- Document Editing and Creating in 2022
We are standing by to assist you. Please keep in mind we are not licensed attorneys and cannot address any legal related questions.
Send a message
You May Also Like
Freelance Producer Job Description
Freelance Video Editor Job Description
Catering Sales Manager Job Description
Electrical Drafter Job Description
CyberSecurity Job Description
Data Analyst Job Description Sample
Customer Success Manager Job Description
Crisis Communications Coordinator Job Description
Creative Copywriting Job Description
Non Profit Executive Director Job Description
Crane Operator Job Description
Cost Accountant Job Description
Economic Analyst Job Description
Talent Management Job Description
Construction Project Manager Job Description
Compensation Specialist Job Description