Reference Librarian Job Description
What does a Reference Librarian do? Download this Reference Librarian Job Description template now for your reference.
Review Rating Score
.docx (0.02 MB)
An effective and compelling Reference Librarian job description is vital when recruiting the right job candidates. By using a professional job description template, there is no need to start from scratch. It saves time, and by editing this job description template, you will be able to attract the most qualified job candidates for the open position.
What does a Reference Librarian do?
This Job description explainer offers guidance on key sections that are important to include for clarity, as well as suggestions for promoting the position. It provides a list of duties, responsibilities, tasks, requirements, demands for setting job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the work as described. However, it’s often not construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities.
When writing a job description, consider the following:
- Highlight the accurate job title;
- Provide a general company introduction;
- Provide an extract or introduction of the job with key goals or objectives;
- Specify the relevant job duties and responsibilities that are necessary for this position;
- List essential qualifications;
- Be clear and concise in the description;
- Have someone knowledgeable to proofread it;
- Make sure that HR and the hiring manager will sign off before publishing it;
- Define what success looks like in the position after 30 days, the first quarter, and the first year;
- Provide direct contact details of the manager or HR department who will follow up on the candidates;
- Publish it via several social media platforms, or offline media, so you are sure that in-house employees also can get easy access to it.
What are the professional qualities of a reference librarian explain with examples?
The following duties, responsibilities and skills are important for this position:
- Provides technology support and computer instruction to staff and patrons.
- Manages and updates the library’s website and social media accounts.
- Maintains the library’s electronic equipment including installing and updating hardware and software, researching equipment for purchase, coordinating with the library network and software vendors, and troubleshooting hardware and software.
- Assists individuals and groups in locating and obtaining information and materials from
- within the library, online, or through interlibrary loan in order to answer reference
- questions either in person or by telephone, email, fax, or mail.
- Educates patrons, presents workshops, and prepares instructional aids regarding
- bibliographic instruction, computers and technology, and library materials and services.
- Provides readers’ advisory services.
- Evaluates and purchases materials, and recommends materials for removal.
- Researches grant opportunities and assists the library director in writing grants.
- Prepares publicity materials to promote the library’s programs and services online, in
- print, and through local access cable television.
- Plans and implements programs and special events.
- Collaborates with other library staff, community agencies, schools, and local
- organizations to develop programs and services.
- Requires a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association and professional certification from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- Must have a minimum of three years professional experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computers and technology required.
- Familiarity with Wordpress and SirsiDynix Workflows preferred.
Since well defined descriptions will attract more suitable candidates for the position, we recommend you to use this Reference Librarian job description sample. Customize it according to your needs, and then publish it directly to your page and network, you will soon start receiving Resumes and Cover letter from qualified candidates. This Reference Librarian Job Description template is fully customizable and can be used in Google Docs, MS Word format. Get this printable file now and personalize it according to your needs. If this is not the job description that fits your need, also have a look at many of our other examples of job description templates here.
Is the content above helpfull?
Thanks for letting us know!
Johana Jordan(12/21/2021) - DEU
Marilynn Maddox(12/21/2021) - AUS
Great value document
Our Latest Blog
- Writing a Great Resume: Tips from a Professional Resume Writer
- How to build accurate and compliant documents faster
- How to Create Halloween Party Invitations? 2023
- Document Editing and Creating in 2022
We are standing by to assist you. Please keep in mind we are not licensed attorneys and cannot address any legal related questions.
Send a message
You May Also Like
Freelance Producer Job Description
Freelance Video Editor Job Description
Catering Sales Manager Job Description
Electrical Drafter Job Description
CyberSecurity Job Description
Data Analyst Job Description Sample
Customer Success Manager Job Description
Crisis Communications Coordinator Job Description
Creative Copywriting Job Description
Non Profit Executive Director Job Description
Crane Operator Job Description
Cost Accountant Job Description
Economic Analyst Job Description
Talent Management Job Description
Construction Project Manager Job Description
Compensation Specialist Job Description