Diversity Statement Sample
How do you write a Diversity statement? When looking for a Diversity statement sample you can always download and use this one.
.docx (0.02 MB)
A diversity statement is a one-page document explaining your experiences and commitments to diversity. If a university requests one, then it is safe to assume that it is very committed to inclusivity and supporting its diverse population so they are looking for someone who would be supportive of that mission. It's also common to add a diversity and inclusion statement for job applications.
How do you write a Diversity statement sample?
Writing a diversity statement that expresses your beliefs and practices is an effective way to reflect on your experiences and beliefs and align them with course practices.
1. As a way to get started, free-write answers to these questions:
- In what ways is engaging and celebrating diversity important to you, personally? Within your school/college? Within your discipline?
- What attributes do you think to promote fairness and equity in a learning environment? What steps do you take to make sure your learning environment is fair?
- What behaviors (actions, words, nonverbal cues) have you observed that you think to promote inclusion? Which have you adopted? What behaviors do you expect from others?
- In what ways, formal and informal, do you hope to contribute to diversity, inclusion, and equity at the university? Elsewhere?
- How do you continue to learn about systems that disadvantage or advantage groups based on social identity?
2. Review your free-write, and underline the concepts and phrases that you like most.
3. Using these key phrases, take a few minutes to draft a diversity statement.
4. Polish your draft, and share it with a couple of trusted colleagues or your teaching center to solicit their questions and suggestions. In revising, strive for clarity.
Sample diversity and inclusion statement for job application:
Diversity is an inherently complex issue and everyone makes their own trade-off between ideal equality and dealing with historical inequality. It is exciting to see that UCSD explicitly emphasizes the importance of campus diversity. I want to briefly include my own take on this topic alongside what I hope to do. I believe that diversity is fundamentally the relationship between a community’s distribution along with a multitude of dimensions (e.g., physical traits, interests, cultures) and that of the general population. I am strongly in favor of a diverse community that samples broadly from the general population. From a selfish perspective, it lets me learn from a variety of different, strange, and interesting people. From a larger perspective, it creates a robust community that is immune to” jumping on the bandwagon”, and, as the UC diversity statement notes, it is” the source of innovative ideas and creative accomplishments”. Left to itself, there is a natural tendency to tighten this distribution.
This is understandable, because similar groups are more predictable, more agreeable, and tend to share similar goals. This results in preferential treatment for the common and shunning of the outliers – outliers in race and gender are popular targets, but so are outliers in thought and habit. The heavy cost is that both the common and the shunned limit the experiences that they are willing to even consider. Thus, my goal is for everyone passing through the university to accept that people vary widely along every attribute imaginable and that this is valuable.
After downloading this sample diversity and inclusion statement for job application and filling in the blanks, you can easily customize the style, typography, details, and appearance of your Diversity statement. If this isn't the right document that you are looking for, then certainly take a look at the other letters that Bizzlibrary.com has to offer. We have many letters ranging from cover letters to business letters and thank you notes.
Is the content above helpfull?
Thanks for letting us know!
I love it
Tu Malone - AUS
Best file today
Our Latest Blog
- Document Editing and Creating in 2022
- How to Create Halloween Party Invitations? 2022
- Is it Good to Write a Cover Letter?
- Rejection Letters - How to Communicate with Unsuccessful Applicants?
We are standing by to assist you. Please keep in mind we are not licensed attorneys and cannot address any legal related questions.