Is it Good to Write a Cover Letter?
A cover letter is an essential sales tool you use to sell yourself and your many skills and talents to employers. If you are searching for a new position, you may assume that a cover letter is a formality and a waste of time. But the truth is exactly the opposite. A cover letter is the main show to your monotonous resume. And if you are applying for a sales job, then a well-drafted service sales cover letter will land you your dream job.
What is a Cover Letter?A cover letter is a letter that accompanies the resume that introduces yourself to a potential employer. It helps them understand what you can offer them. While there is no set formula for writing a cover letter, it is crucial to keep in mind that it is a chance for you to sell yourself to the reader.
With a cover letter, you can tell prospective employers why you are a good fit for the job. There are many different types of cover letters. But the most important thing is to be yourself and communicate your skills and qualifications in a way that is engaging and interesting for the reader.
Through this article, you will understand the benefits of writing a cover letter for a sales job and a few tips on writing different cover letters.
Benefits of a Cover LetterLet us begin with the benefits of writing a cover letter.
Shows your EnthusiasmA customized cover letter that you write to compel the hiring managers shows your quality of enthusiasm. It shows that you researched the company, job requirements, and the employer’s needs. And with this, your passion for the particular job seems obvious.
For PersonalizationFurther, another advantage of a cover letter is that you get the opportunity to shed light on your professional career in a more personal way. While a resume remains a document of factual data, a cover letter is a detailed version of the same data. Writing a good cover letter is vital for people who are changing their careers or have a gap in their education or career because it is only a cover letter that will help you describe your story.
Stand OutEveryone writes and sends a resume to prospective employers, but not everyone will write a cover letter. So a cover letter helps you stand out from other applicants. It will show the extra efforts you put into grabbing the job opportunity. Simply a cover letter will not be effective, and you will have to write one without errors and spelling mistakes.
Shows your Writing SkillsA well-written cover letter shows employers that you have excellent writing skills. Most job positions require employees to pen down their thoughts that are easy to understand. Also, some jobs require written communication skills, and with a cover letter, you can demonstrate them very effectively and increase your chance of getting hired.
Now that you know the benefits of writing a cover letter, there are two primary ways of writing a cover letter which are;
Email Cover LetterIn today’s corporate world, emails play a key role in formal communications. Thus, sending the cover letter as an attachment is a great option. And for sending an email cover letter, you must follow these instructions;
- Use Professional Email Address - When you submit an email cover letter, ensure to use your professional email address. Avoid the use of numbers or nicknames for professional email addresses. You can use first and last names.
- Subject Line - An informative subject line that includes the details of your email content can have a favorable impact on the recruiter’s mind. A subject line containing your name and job title can be the right subject.
- Follow Instructions - Email letters can be sent in two ways; either as a part of the email or as an attachment. So, before sending an email cover letter, you must know what the company is asking you to do. It is essential to follow the instructions to show how disciplined you are and increase your chances of getting the job.
- Include a Short Message - When you attach your cover letter with your email, ensure to write a brief message to let the manager know that you have sent an attachment of a cover letter with the email.
- Send a Test Mail - Sending a test mail to yourself is a great idea to see if the attachments are working well and to check how your email will display on the recruiter’s system.
Paper Cover LetterWhile writing a cover letter on paper, you must take care of the formatting. For this reason, here are a few tips for writing a cover letter on paper.
- Format - You must consider the format you imply while writing your cover letter. In order to get an idea about the formatting of a cover letter, you can take the help of examples of sales cover letters that are available in bulk on the internet. And to set up formatting, you must first write your name and contact details on the top. Then the recipient's name, address, and phone number.
- Open with Formal Greeting - After you write the contact details, the next thing to do is start with a formal greeting. And later, begin with your introduction and mention your professional career, skills, and qualities required for this job. While doing so, ensure to read the job description and write the qualities as per the description.
- End with Signature - Finally, end with your signature with a professional closing phrase, such as “Sincerely” or “Thanks & Regards.”
Finally, it is a good idea to write a cover letter when you are applying for a job. It can help you stand out from other applicants and show the employer why you are the best person for the job. Not all cover letters, however, are created equal. While some may be better than others. If you are still on the fence about whether or not it is good to write a cover letter, we can only say that it is always better to be safe than sorry.